Men desire to gain muscle every time they wish to look good. But whether you are a skinny guy wishing to pack on some muscle or a not-so-skinny man hoping to convert some body fat into muscle, gaining muscle the right way always appears as a challenge. Not only you must get the right training program that suits your body, but you must also follow a proper diet plan and lifestyle to build muscles in a healthy way.
This article will lead you through the basic facts
about how to build muscle and give you tips and insights into body building techniques.
1. Start Your Day with a Power Breakfast
is the most important meal of the day. The importance of this meal increases even more when you are trying to gain muscle. A balanced breakfast gives a kick start to your metabolism that keeps you going for the rest of the day.
Eat a breakfast rich in protein, complex carbs and unsaturated fats.
Some healthy breakfast ideas include:
- Skimmed milk
- Peanut butter
- A handful of nuts and seeds
- Chicken sausage
2. Protein is the Building Blocks for Muscles.
Do not let yourself be confused and frustrated by speculations. Many people believe that fat is essential for health and will get you a healthy looking body. Thus, on many occasions, skinny people are encouraged to eat fats.
The truth is that saturated fats, as in lard, cream, butter and red meat, increase the level of bad cholesterol in the blood, which can lead to heart disease and other health risks. Fat can help improve your health, but only when you eat unsaturated fats like the ones you get from nuts, avocado and salmon. But fat does not build muscles. To build muscles you must eat protein.
Amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins, are also the building blocks of the muscles in your body. For proper muscle growth and maintenance, it is important that you deliver a constant supply of protein to your body. Bodybuilders consume protein for many other benefits.
Proteins contain carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen; therefore, having a sufficient amount of protein can help restore a positive nitrogen balance in your body, which is also called the anabolic state
. The anabolic state helps your body build muscles, bones, cartilage, skin, blood, enzymes and hormones
Protein synthesis is the conversion of protein into muscle by the body. It is only possible if you eat adequate amounts of protein. Where a normal person must eat 70 to 80 grams of protein
per day, a body builder requires much more than that, because bodybuilding subjects the body to much greater stresses than the everyday activities of a normal person. The correct amount of protein that a body builder should consume is 1.1 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.
Not eating enough protein can lead to:
- A slow metabolism
- Difficulty losing weight
- Lack of muscle mass
- Poor concentration
- Mood swings
- Joint and muscle pain
- High blood sugar
- Slow healing of wounds
- Poor immunity
3. Know the Optimum Protein Sources and the Dangers of Going Overboard
There is a wide range of foods that you can include into your diet to provide your body the necessary amount of protein. Some foods that are a complete protein source and can provide the needed amino acids for muscle building are:
- Soy products
- Lean meat
You must also take into consideration the fact that your body can absorb and utilize different amounts of protein from different foods. For example, it can utilize only 61 percent of the protein from soy. On the other hand, your body can utilize as much as 80 percent of the protein that comes from fish. Nuts, seeds and legumes are also good sources of quality protein. You may also consider taking protein supplements
to meet your body’s protein requirements.
Beware, as a high protein intake is detrimental for your kidneys and can put you at risk of developing permanent kidney damage. Therefore, keep in mind following things:
- Keep Hydrated: You must drink plenty of water while on a high protein diet.
- Eat Small Meals:You must consume small meals constituting of high protein foods every few hours so that your body can remain in the anabolic state throughout the day. This will help you build more muscles in a short span of time.
- Consult a Doctor: Always consult a doctor or a nutritionist before using protein supplements. Make sure you do not have a liver or kidney condition.
4. Pre-Workout Meals are Essential for Building Muscle
Eat an energy boosting
pre-workout meal before hitting the gym. You do not necessarily need a pre-workout supplement; the right meal can do the trick for you.
Try to eat a combination of protein and complex carbohydrates, like rice and pasta. These foods slowly release carbohydrates into your bloodstream while you exercise. Carbohydrates are extremely important as they help meet your carbohydrate needs during intense workouts. Moreover, if you add a little protein too, something like a pre-workout protein bar, it can help you recover from the muscle breakdown that happens during workouts.
5. Complete Your Workout With a Post-Workout Supplement
Your workout is not complete without a proper post-workout supplement. An intense workout takes a huge toll on your body, especially your muscles. You might be surprised to know but your muscles undergo extensive breakdown while you are working out. The muscle building process actually starts after you are done with your workouts. That is why what you eat during this interval strongly influences your muscle gain.
To optimize your muscle gain, you need a potent post-workout supplement
. Go for a post-workout supplement with following ingredients:
- Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs)
- Creatine monohydrate
- Antioxidants like vitamin C
6. Eating Small, Frequent Meals Helps in Muscle Gaining
When you are working tirelessly towards muscle gaining, it is important that you make a few significant dietary changes
. To begin with, you should consume a lot of calories, especially if you are training hard. Your body will need plenty of energy to repair the muscle tissues that undergo damage during heavy training. Also, if you are not eating enough calories, your body will start extracting the calories it needs from your muscles.
One of the ways you can include more calories in your diet is by eating small portions of food frequently. Inserting few mini-meals of around 300 calories between whole-food meals can help satisfy your body’s need for additional calories.
Most body builders eat about eight times a day. Therefore, small meals can:
- Improve Your Protein Intake: Body building requires a high intake of protein. A body builder who weighs 100 kilograms would require eating about 110 grams of protein everyday, which can easily be divided into six small meals a day each consisting of around 20 grams of protein.
- Stop Cravings:Eating frequently prevents you from getting hungry and wanting to cheat, which leads to overeating. This way, eating small meals can help you to stick to your daily calorie allowance.
- Boost Metabolism: Small meals help boost your metabolism. If you eat small meals, your metabolism has to go up frequently to digest the meals. This boosts your net metabolism response.
- Keep Blood Sugar Levels Steady: Since frequent eating prevents cravings and temptation for the wrong kind of food, which helps regulate your blood sugar levels.
What is important is to make sure that you eat a healthy combination of food overall. Maintain a healthy balance between proteins, healthy fats and carbohydrates. Your body may need high amounts of protein, but it also needs other nutrients in the proper amounts to function.
7. Keep Hydrated to Boost Your Metabolism
Water is the key ingredient needed to carry out all the chemical reactions taking place in your body. The daily hydration needs of an average individual range between two to three liters of fluid daily, but your daily hydration needs increase significantly while you are working out. Therefore, try to drink no less than three to four liters of water on an average day.
8. Try Building Muscle by Eating More Nutrient-Dense Foods
Consuming calories is the key step to building muscles, but that does not mean you can overfeed on junk. You must find ways to gain weight in a healthy way.
Apart from eating frequently, another way to consume more calories is by eating more nutrient-dense foods
. Foods that pack healthy carbohydrates, fats and proteins help to provide the needed calories without:
- Increasing bad cholesterol in your body
- Damaging your insulin sensitivity
- Effecting brain functions
- Promoting obesity
- Putting you at a risk of heart diseases and diabetes
Choosing a mix of nutrient-dense foods can not only provide you the right amount of calories that you need to build muscles, it can also provide a range of vital nutrients to your body. Apart from calories, nutrient dense foods provide:
- Complex carbohydrates
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids
Nutrient dense foods can also help you to feel full for a long time so you can avoid cravings for junk
food. Some examples of nutrient-dense foods are:
- Unsalted nuts
- Whole grains
- Fruits and Vegetables
9. Gain Muscle by Avoiding Junk Food
Eating empty calories is not a good idea when you want to build muscles and stay fit at the same time. Junk foods like sodas, cookies, chips and ice-cream contain a lot of calories, but they do not contain any nutrients that are essential for the body to function.
Moreover, junk food can cause:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Poor digestion
- Fatigue and weakness
- Dementia and other memory related problems
- Heart diseases
- Kidney diseases
- Liver damage
10. Muscles are Gained in Bed, Not at Gym
One of the biggest misconceptions most bodybuilders have is that hitting the gym more often and for longer durations will help them gain mass. They become so enthusiastic that they forget the importance of rest.
This may come to you as a surprise, but you gain muscles in bed, not at the gym. While you are asleep, your body releases a high amount of growth hormone
, which helps convert amino acids into muscle proteins. You will know more about HGH in coming text.
Whatever you do, do not forget to get at least seven to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep daily.
11. How to Build Muscle Mass: Using Growth Hormones to Build a Muscular Physique
Steroids and growth hormones are invariably talked about when discussing how to build muscle mass. The market is full of steroids and supplement options, but not all of them can yield the expected results. One of the few popular supplements, frequently used by bodybuilders, is human growth hormone,or HGH.
HGH is naturally produced in your body. It helps your muscles to grow and repair themselves. HGH facilitates cell reproduction and thereby encourages the growth of your muscles. Body builders take HGH as a supplement for bulking up.
Growth hormone supplements are available in the form of:
- Oral sprays
is a trusted brand, which is often recommended by doctors. It comes with a proven formula that may help you increase your HGH levels effectively. GenF20plus is available as both pills and oral spray. It helps to naturally increase your HGH levels without side effects.
Research shows that GenG20 plus causes a dramatic 28 percent increase in HGH levels with just 12 weeks of use. Unlike the injectable HGH supplements
, which have a lot of side effects, GenF20 plus
is exceptionally safe. It improves your muscle mass and gives you anti-aging benefits with an excellent safety profile.
12. How to Gain Muscle? Know the Right Exercise Routine
Besides eating adequately and giving your body enough energy, you also need to stress your muscles, so that they can utilize this energy to get bigger. The answer to how to gain muscle is progressively overloading
your muscles. In order to progressively overload your muscles you must:
- Lift more weights.
- Have a resistance training routine.
- Slowly increase the number of sets you do in a day.
- Increase the frequency of your workouts.
Take a good look at your current training program. You must include all the above aspects of training into your program. Also, it is important to observe how your body is responding. If your body does not respond well to lifting weights, you can try to do other forms of resistance training like planks, squats, push-ups and lunges. This is the answer to how to build muscle without weights.
your muscles helps you to increase:
Whatever training program you follow to progressively overload your muscles,remember to make sure that it is capable of helping you to meet your goal. Prioritize what you want from your exercise routine, and then build your training program according to your priority list. Also, make sure that you are not over-training
your muscle. Over-training can have serious effects as mentioned later in the text.
13. HIIT: The Key to Rapid Gains
While all sorts of workouts help you gain muscles, some work better than the others. One such workout routine is the high-intensity interval training (HIIT). HIIT is basically the same exercise you do with a little alteration. So instead of working out at the same level of intensity, you alternate your workouts between periods of intense workouts followed by periods of rest. Even science backs the efficacy of this type of exercise
over ordinary exercise routines.
14. Eat Quality Supplements to Take Things to the Next Level
In addition to the right training and nutrition, you can get some extra help from an array of bodybuilding supplements available in the market. Here is a list of the top six bodybuilding supplements
that you should consider including into your routine:
- Whey protein supplements
- Supplements with Branched Chain Amino Acids
- Omega fatty acid supplements
15. One Tip on How to Gain Muscles Safely: Know the Side Effects of Over-Training
It is important to know the correct way of how to gain muscles. Many people understand how to build muscles as continuous and rigorous training. But when training becomes a borderline obsession, you may risk over training your muscles. Over training can kill you
. Straining your muscles too much can cause:
- Brain, muscle and metabolic imbalances
- Severe exhaustion
- Risk of developing heart conditions
On many occasions, a body builder in pursuit of how to build muscle fast
begins to train too much. You might know ways of how to build muscle fast at home, but what you need to understand here is that there are few symptoms of over-training that you must be aware of. It can not only help you to stop straining your muscles too much, but also save you from causing some permanent damage to your muscles.
- Altered Heart Rate:A lot of body builders use a heart rate monitor while training. That is because they want to prevent over-training and their heart beating more than the safe limits. Altered heart rate is a sign that your body’s metabolism has exceeded its limits to meet the excess strain on your muscles. An altered heart rate also means that you must stop over-straining to give your heart some rest. If you do not stay in safe limits, you may be at risk of having a heart attack.
- Insatiable Thirst:People who are over-training often fight a thirst that seems unquenchable. Straining at the gym can send your body into a catabolic stage. A catabolic state is a state where your body breaks down protein and fatty acids into amino acids. This state, in turn, can make you dehydrated.
- Muscle Soreness:If you feel that your muscles are sore and there is no sign of recovery from it, you may be pushing them to the limits. Over-training can cause severe muscle fatigue and can thus negatively impact your efforts to build muscles.
- Insomnia:Over-training can cause an imbalance between your brain and hormonal system. Thus, if you find it difficult to fall asleep at night, one of the reasons may be that you are over-training at the gym.
- Halted Progress:If you notice that despite your efforts at the gym, you are no longer able to see results, it may be because you are pushing too hard. It may be because your muscles are torn from excessive training and while you are at it at the gym; you are only re-tearing your muscles. This inhibits growth in the muscles and stops them from bulking up.
If you find yourself over training you must stop immediately and revise your training goals. You may be expecting to achieve too much in too little time. Switch to a more relaxed routine so that you can see results without the side effects.
To sum up, this article has talked about how to build muscle for skinny guys and also for guys who want to shed some weight before gaining muscles. It has also talked about how to build muscle fast for men and how to build lean muscle. Further, the article has elaborated on how to build muscle naturally by eating the right foods and exercising.
Now you know how to build muscle. By applying the right techniques you will be able to gain more lean muscles, reduce fat and increase your fitness. You must remember to stay focused and not give up on your training because you will not see the results immediately. Eat a balanced diet and continue training. Give your body enough time and rest so that you do not over-train your muscles.